Final call for submissions: 2022 Jamie Bishop Memorial Award
Final Call for Submissions: 2022 Jamie Bishop Memorial Award
The International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts announces its 16th annual Jamie Bishop Memorial Award for a critical essay on the fantastic originally written in a language other than English.
The IAFA defines the fantastic to include science fiction, folklore, and related genres in literature, drama, film, art and graphic design, and related disciplines. For more information regarding the Bishop Award and a list of past winners, see https://iaftfita.wildapricot.org/Bishop-award-winners-list .
· Essays should be of high scholarly quality, as if for publication in an academic journal.
· We consider essays from 3,000–10,000 words in length (or the equivalent for nonalphabetic languages), including notes and bibliography.
· Essays may be unpublished scholarship submitted by the author, or already published work nominated either by the author or another scholar (in which case the author’s permission should be obtained before submission).
· Essays must have been written and (when applicable) published in the original language within the last three years prior to submission.
· An ABSTRACT in English and an English translation of the essay’s TITLE must accompany all submissions. The submitted essay DOES NOT have to be translated into English.
· Only one essay per designated author(s) may be submitted each year.
· Submissions must be made electronically in .pdf or Microsoft Word format (.doc, .docx), to the email address noted below.
Deadline for receipt of submissions: October 25, 2021. Essays may be submitted prior to the deadline.
The winner of this year’s Bishop Award will be announced at the 43rd International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts, March 16–20, 2022.
Prize: $250 US and one year’s free membership in the IAFA. Winning essays may be posted on the IAFA website in the original language and/or considered for publication in the Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts (http://www.fantastic-arts.org/jfa/) should they be translated into English.
Please direct all inquiries and submissions to: