cfp: Jamie Bishop Award for an essay not in English
By Stacie Hanes In Awards, CFP, IAFA On June 14, 2013
The International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts Announces its 8th annual Jamie Bishop Memorial Award for a critical essay on the fantastic written in a language other than English. The IAFA defines the fantastic to include science fiction, folklore, and related genres in literature, drama, film, art and graphic design, and related disciplines. For more information on the award and on past winners, please see http://fantastic-arts.org/awards/jamie-bishop-memorial-award/ (please note the updated submission criteria, below).
· Essays should be of high scholarly quality, as if for publication in an academic journal.
· We consider essays from 3,000-10,000 words in length (including notes and bibliography).
· Essays may be unpublished scholarship submitted by the author, or already published work nominated either by the author or another scholar (in which case the author’s permission should be obtained before submission).
· Essays must have been written and (when applicable) published in the original language within the last three years prior to submission.
· An abstract in English must accompany all submissions; an English translation of the title of the essay should also be included.
· Only one essay per person may be submitted each year.
· Submissions must be made electronically in Word format.
Deadline for submissions: September 1st
Prize: $250 U.S. and one year’s free membership in the IAFA to be awarded at the annual International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts held each March. Winning essays may be posted on the IAFA website in the original language and/or considered for publication in the Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts (http://www.fantastic-arts.org/jfa/) should they be translated into English.
Please direct all inquiries and submissions to:
Rachel Haywood Ferreira
Department of World Languages and Cultures
3102 Pearson Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011 USA
Email: <rachelhf AT iastate.edu>